Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sidney Poitier




A good deed here, a good deed there, a good thought here, a good comment there, all added up to my career in one way or another.
Sidney Poitier

As a man, I've been representative of the values I hold dear. And the values I hold dear are carryovers from the lives of my parents.
Sidney Poitier

But I always had the ability to say no. That's how I called my own shots.
Sidney Poitier

But my dad also was a remarkable man, a good person, a principled individual, a man of integrity.
Sidney Poitier

History passes the final judgment.
Sidney Poitier

I come from a great family. I've seen family life and I know how wonderful, how nurturing, and how wonderful it can be.
Sidney Poitier

I decided in my life that I would do nothing that did not reflect positively on my father's life.
Sidney Poitier

I had chosen to use my work as a reflection of my values.
Sidney Poitier

I had learned something of Miami from people who had visited there, so I knew what to expect.
Sidney Poitier

I never had an occasion to question color, therefore, I only saw myself as what I was... a human being.
Sidney Poitier

I wanted to explore the values that are at work, underpinning my life.
Sidney Poitier

I wanted to look at them because I feel, internally, that I am an ordinary person who has had an extraordinary life.
Sidney Poitier

I was not the kind of a principal player that was so in demand that eight or 10 or 12 scripts came per month.
Sidney Poitier

I was the only Black person on the set. It was unusual for me to be in a circumstance in which every move I made was tantamount to representation of 18 million people.
Sidney Poitier

I'll always be chasing you... Glory.
Sidney Poitier

I've had it all my life and when it can time for me to start a family, I was quite anxious to do so.
Sidney Poitier

If you apply reason and logic to this career of mine, you're not going to get very far. You simply won't.
Sidney Poitier

In my case, the body of work stands for itself... I think my work has been representative of me as a man.
Sidney Poitier

Jackie Robinson is a true legend.
Sidney Poitier

Mine was an easy ride compared to Jackie Robinson's.
Sidney Poitier

1 comment:

  1. My autobiography was simply the story of my life.
    Sidney Poitier

    My father was a poor man, very poor in a British colonial possession where class and race were very important.
    Sidney Poitier

    Since I couldn't actuate the things that I wanted to do, the only weapon I had was to say no.
    Sidney Poitier

    So I had to be careful. I recognized the responsibility that, whether I liked it or not, I had to accept whatever the obligation was. That was to behave in a manner, to carry myself in such a professional way, as if there ever is a reflection, it's a positive one.
    Sidney Poitier

    So I'm OK with myself, with history, my work, who I am and who I was.
    Sidney Poitier

    So it's been kind of a long road, but it was a good journey altogether.
    Sidney Poitier

    So much of life, it seems to me, is determined by pure randomness.
    Sidney Poitier

    The journey has been incredible from its beginning.
    Sidney Poitier

    There is not racial or ethnic domination of hopelessness. It's everywhere.
    Sidney Poitier

    To be compared to Jackie Robinson is an enormous compliment, but I don't think it's necessarily deserved.
    Sidney Poitier

    To simply wake up every morning a better person than when I went to bed.
    Sidney Poitier

    We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection.
    Sidney Poitier

    ReplyDelete