Sunday, August 30, 2009

Princess Diana




Princess Diana -- Her international fame had no limits, whether it be as a fairytale princess, devoted mum, fashion plate or humanitarian striving to reinvent herself. Died on Aug. 31, 1997 at age 36. Cause of death: car accident. Quote: "I'd like to be a queen in people's hearts, but I don't see myself being queen of this country."

Remembering Diana, the world’s first Princess of Television
31 August 2007 — Nalaka Gunawardene
Today, 31 August 2007, is the tenth anniversary of Princess Diana’s tragic death in a road accident in Paris.

A decade on, I can still remember exactly where and how I first heard the news. This experience is widely shared: to many in my generation — born in the 1960s and raised through 1970s and 1980s (just like Diana was) — this was an unforgettable moment. Perhaps just like the assassination of John F Kennedy was to a previous generation.

The analogy between Di and JFK goes further. Both had charismatic personalities that appealed far beyond their home country. Both epitomised the vibrancy of youth and the potential for change in the institutions they joined (Diana the British Royal family, and JFK the American government). Both lives were snuffed out before they could fulfill that promise, but they left enduring legacies — and thriving cottage industries of conspiracy theories (’Who killed JFK?’ has now been joined by ‘Who killed Diana?’).

Here’s another similarity: JFK and Diana were both iconic images of the era of television.

If JFK turned up just in time to charm the first generation of American TV viewers, Diana’s arrival on world stage coincided neatly with the worldwide roll out of satellite television, especially the all-news channels. And thanks to the advances in global broadcasting, Diana commanded a far bigger global audience than JFK did (though the comparisons must end there).

I would like to remember Diana as the first Princess of Television of our media-rich age.

http://abinitioadinfinitum.wordpress.com/2007/08/31/princess-diana/


Tomorrow marks the eleventh anniversary, may you rest in peace Princess Di...God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Any sane person would have left long ago. But I cannot. I have my sons.
    Princess Diana

    Anywhere I see suffering, that is where I want to be, doing what I can.
    Princess Diana

    Being a princess isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    Princess Diana

    Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.
    Princess Diana

    Everyone of us needs to show how much we care for each other and, in the process, care for ourselves.
    Princess Diana

    Family is the most important thing in the world.
    Princess Diana

    HIV does not make people dangerous to know, so you can shake their hands and give them a hug: Heaven knows they need it.
    Princess Diana

    Hugs can do great amounts of good - especially for children.
    Princess Diana

    I don't even know how to use a parking meter, let alone a phone box.
    Princess Diana

    I don't go by the rule book... I lead from the heart, not the head.
    Princess Diana

    I don't want expensive gifts; I don't want to be bought. I have everything I want. I just want someone to be there for me, to make me feel safe and secure.
    Princess Diana

    I knew what my job was; it was to go out and meet the people and love them.
    Princess Diana

    I like to be a free spirit. Some don't like that, but that's the way I am.
    Princess Diana

    I live for my sons. I would be lost without them.
    Princess Diana

    I think like any marriage, especially when you've had divorced parents like myself; you want to try even harder to make it work.
    Princess Diana

    I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.
    Princess Diana

    I want my boys to have an understanding of people's emotions, their insecurities, people's distress, and their hopes and dreams.
    Princess Diana

    I want to walk into a room, be it a hospital for the dying or a hospital for the sick children, and feel that I am needed. I want to do, not just to be.
    Princess Diana

    I wear my heart on my sleeve.
    Princess Diana

    I will fight for my children on any level so they can reach their potential as human beings and in their public duties.
    Princess Diana

    ReplyDelete